Assalamu ‘alaykum l Peace be to you,
By now we have all seen images of the horrific attack on worshipers in two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand. The scenes are hard to watch: the deaths of 49 of our brothers and sisters, old and young, shot down while congregating for Friday prayers, with over 50 more wounded. Terrorism, extremism and oppression are scourges of modern humanity and must be resisted at all costs. While we grieve for our fallen and support the survivors, we call on the Muslim community to commit to the following:
- Supplicate sincerely that Allah enters those killed into the highest Jannah and bring support and justice to their families;
- Donate to support the survivors through reputable agencies;
- Talk to your children and loved ones and give them an opportunity to express their thoughts;
- Remind ourselves that Allah the Most High is the Most Wise, and the tests in life that Allah decrees can be a blessing, if they make us stronger;
- Be vigilant for your own safety and insist that your mosques and schools enact more stringent safety measures;
- Continue to give time to community outreach, volunteerism and civic engagement, to the best of your ability: the best way to fight hate is vigilance and building relationships.
May Allah the Most High forgive the victims of this senseless attack and descend His mercy and support to their families. Ameen.
Wassalaam | With Peace
Mercy Mission Canada